Monday, July 9, 2012

Dr Seow Onn Choong is reinventing himself.

When I was a young dentist the retirement age of people then was 55. I supposed my target then was also to retire at 55 as some believe a dentist's hands will be  shaking by then.
I have tried many times to retire but doesn't seem to be very successful in doing just that. 5 years ago I decided to sell my practice consisting of 4 clinics away. What triggered the move was the death of my eldest brother. That was a good opportunity for me to fade away as the sale requires me to work for the new company for 3 years. Well I went on to work part time for another 2 years until a change in management triggered another retirement.
Well I thought this is it. I was wrong. A flood of phone calls , sms messages and emails came. To make matters more exciting I started running into all my former patients and once again the questions are the same.

So at last I am reinventing myself by staring another  clinic now known as Dr Seow Dental Centre. It is jsut right next door to my old clinic in Holland Drive.
Thus the address is Block 43 Holland Drive #01-51 Singapore 270043 Tel. 67770113.

I have been a rolling stone all my life. I started work as a government dental officer but concurrently I was given 2 other jobs. One was as a part time lecturer in then the University of Singapore. The other was as dental officer in charge of Woodbridge Hospital and Tralfagar Home. THose days there was no handphones, thus none of my colleagues knew my absence.
Government  service was alike a stone wall. I kept knocking my head into the wall as the people involved were most resistance to change. Finally over  $50 dollar call allowance I resigned.
I joined Tay and Partners. It was a young group back then but was very advanced in its ideology. It was the place where I picked up most of my dental skills especially four handed dentistry.The training was good enough for me to sit for the Master Degree in Dental Surgery from the National University of Singapore. I am probably the only MDS degree holder from NUS that was not a government or University trainee.

Soon I felt it was time to set up on my own. My first clinic in Plaza Singapura was known as AARON DENTAL SURGERY. Aaron because it appears as the first name in the yellow pages. That was the most the most important lesson from my  former boss. Little did I realise that it was not to be so easy. As a Malaysian, I had very few friends in Singapore. Also most people did not trust a young dentist.

Fortunately fate is kind to me . One of my medical doctor friend who was the working in Brunei suggested I go to Brunei to start a practice.It was a easy decision but had to convince my girl friend to marry me and follow me to" that god forsaken place"

So I started AARON DENTAL SURGERY in Brunei. However one day a Malay man came into my clinic asking for Dr AARON. As far as he was concern I could not be Dr Aaron as I was not an englishman.
That triggered me to think. Thus AARON SEOW DENTAL SURGERY was born.
Brunei was the best thing that  can happen to me. Within one month my clinic was very busy so much so there was period of 3 days I worked from morning to night none stop. On the fourth day I told my newly wedded wife I had enough and I closed the clinic for the day.

Brunei was a really unique and most important milestone in my life.The people of Brunei is very friendly. There was only 2 dentists in private practice then , one charge the sky and the other cause a lot of pain. Even thought he government provided free dental care, the service there was atrocious. Everyone gave me a try. The best part was whatever I did for them, if the results did not turn out well they will comeback to give me feedback and ask me for a better solution. This was how I could hone my skills so much so my patients called me The Best Dentist in the World.  I am not bragging cos recently when I went back for a holiday after 14 years many people still remember me and then they poured out their dental woes.

AS events went, I came back to Singapore to facilitate my children's education. That was supposed to be my first retirement , but as a Malaysian I had to be gainfully employed to stay in Singapore. I worked for a friend but every alternate week I flew back to Brunei to take care of my patients.After 5 years i had to stop because it was just too tiring and thus AARON SEOW DENTAL SURGERY was born again.

Is  DR SEOW DENTAL CENTRE the last of seow onn choong's revival?. Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Good to read about your experience. Nowadays a good idea for marketing your practice is using Dental Practice Newsletters, which can help in building branding and authority even for a newly established centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the privilege to hear this story from Dr Seow today (8yrs later from the date of this blog) and as his patient, I can totally vouch that I am one of those who benefited from his practice. I used to be so terrified and horrified at even the thought of seeing a dentist that unless I was literally dying from the pain, I would avoid at all cost!! But Thanks to the intro from my sister to Dr Seow, the fear and dread has gone down by 90%!! (There will always be some fear lah huh...) Having a good dentist that one can trust is so very important! And I may sound pretty selfish but I truly hope you will continue your practice and we, your patients, will definitely be benefiting from your good care and keep our dental health in check!

    ReplyDelete